LUMA empowers people to innovate everywhere, by transforming the way they work.
LUMA Institute created the LUMA System of Innovation as a practical, easy-to-learn, flexible and scalable framework of Human-Centered Design that people can apply in their daily work to tackle problems of all sizes. Today, people are learning and applying the LUMA System all over the world online through LUMA Workplace, the world’s only online platform to offer easy-to-learn, flexible and repeatable ways for anyone to be innovative, anytime and anywhere, using the LUMA System.
LUMA Workplace offers:
- Videos featuring expert advice from top innovators
- Proven recipes and agendas to tackle common everyday challenges
- Classes for self-paced learning that introduce Human-Centered Design and teach key innovation skills
- Live, on-demand coaching from Human-Centered Design experts
People in 50+ countries are using LUMA Workplace in settings ranging from large global enterprises like Autodesk and Accenture to organizations in our hometown of Pittsburgh, Pa., including UPMC, EQT, Carnegie Mellon and the City of Pittsburgh, with more signing up daily. The platform’s all-time Net Promoter Score (NPS) is a world-class 76 and trending upward; in May 2017, the average NPS was 87.
Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineers contribute to shaping our growing range of digital offerings. This is an ideal role for a talented engineer who is passionate about imagining and delivering software solutions that play an essential part in enabling transformative learning.
You will be an integral part of a multidisciplinary product team, comprised of product management, design and software engineering. Your applied experience will help evolve our processes while delivering new scalable features to our core offering, LUMA Workplace.
Though we expect you to bring additional capacity primarily as an engineer, our most talented people work across the entire product lifecycle from research through design and delivery in order to use technology that enables the ideal experience.
One engineer who is working on the Workplace product reflected, “One of the greatest benefits of working on LUMA Workplace is that I am constantly learning and getting better at my job because of my exposure to the LUMA System. I actually get paid to learn and practice what other people are paying good money for.”
Every great company is made up of great people. At LUMA, Senior Software Engineers are:
- User-focused. They take a human-centered approach, working alongside customers to thoughtfully consider the usefulness and usability of everything they create.
- Experienced, world-class developers. They have a history of developing advanced, yet elegant, software products that range in technical complexity.
- Highly collaborative. They work well with fellow engineers, designers, content specialists, product managers, and other related functions. They know when to ask for help.
- Iterative. They take an agile approach to software development and are fanatical about rapidly prototyping and testing potential solutions.
- Subject-matter experts. They deeply understand the domains of application development and software engineering.
- Architectural thinkers. They design scalable and sustainable solutions based on sound information and systems architecture.
- Risk takers. They actively seek out opportunities to uncover failure points in their solutions and learn from each and every one of them.
- Instructive. They love learning and helping others to learn. They are able explain technical concepts in plain language and illuminate the application of human-centered design to engineering.
- Well-organized. They are extremely detail-oriented and manage time well.
- Good humans. At LUMA we value people who show empathy and put clients and co-workers first. Who trust the talented team we have built together. Who respect others’ abilities, hard work and feedback. Who collaborate because they recognize our capacity grows exponentially when we work together. Who have a passion for our mission because it fuels the momentum we need to realize our vision.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will:
- Stand up for customers. You will care about and optimize for the complete user experience, and will be a consistent champion for the customer. You will apply your knowledge of information architecture and usability principles, including user interface standards, tools, and industry guidelines to all your work.
- Scope to expectations. You will translate customer needs into user stories. You will define requirements and estimate time and effort. You will recognize and manage scope creep and will have a keen applied understanding of “minimum viable” that drives your everyday work. You will discover and set clear priorities and influence the overall product and technology roadmap.
- Ship code frequently. You will play a hands-on role in creating amazing end-to-end user experiences. You apply appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the software development lifecycle. You will review code and coordinate releases. You have a passion for automation and for continually contributing to better processes and standards.
- Deliver on time. You will set expectations and define project schedules based against capacity and balance the competing demands of time, resources and quality. You know how to collaboratively prioritize tasks and efforts. You know how to run a sprint. You eat acceptance tests for breakfast
- Provide data for decision making. You will define and configure data for monitoring product performance against critical metrics (acquisition, conversion, empowerment, retention). You will empower the organization with business metrics to understand the health of our product offerings.
- Support customers directly. You will respond to technical support requests as necessary. You stand behind what you deliver and take an “at your service” approach to both internal and external customer requests.
- Create culture. You will help shape an environment where all members of the team can be healthy, happy, and productive. You will support the work efforts and professional development of other engineers on the team. You will take a human-centered design approach to think through problems.
- Support our infrastructure. You will help ensure reliability and scalability of our services. You will occasionally consult on security, privacy, or general technology issues.
- Ensure delivery of vendor services. You will occasionally evaluate, manage and select external contractors, suppliers and development partners. You may be responsible for monitoring and managing these expenses.
What technical experience do I need?
- Have a proven background in building SaaS products.
- Excel at collaborating with Git (and GitHub) and have set up CI & CD before.
- Have experience with distributed systems and how they work.
- Are comfortable developing, testing, deploying, and monitoring systems.
- Know why continuous delivery is important and know the steps to get there.
What additional skills might be valuable?
- Past experience teaching and/or facilitating
We take care of our people and reward them with some great perks. If something is missing that that’s important to you, please talk to us.
- Competitive salary and profit sharing, so as we do amazing work, everyone shares in our success.
- A remote work policy, so you can borrow the “cone of silence” for heads down work, or be a productive team member outside of Pittsburgh
- Rest easy as your care is covered with Health, Dental, Long and Short Term Disability, Life and AD&D, and Vision Insurances
- Paid maternity & paternity leave provides time to attend to your most precious development project, as well as a babies in the workplace policy
- A rested team is a productive team. Recharge periodically with 4 weeks of vacation
- Make matched contributions through our 401K Retirement Plan
- Pursue that extra degree with an Education Assistance Policy
- No worries if you choose not to drive to work with a transportation allowance
- We provide everyone MacBook Pro laptops and whatever equipment that supports your most productive work.
Diversity is at the heart of any innovative organization. We do not discriminate on any basis.
This is role is based in Pittsburgh, though we are willing to consider remote applicants.
We work with a global network of LUMA certified instructors and partners from our headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Pittsburgh is proud to rank among the top places to live, work, and visit in the United States. Our city is consistently recognized with accolades from major travel and financial organizations as one of the most livable cities and as having one of the most vibrant economies.
How to apply
Apply here with your CV, a link to your portfolio, and a cover letter with a quick technical description of something awesome you have built.