LUMA is seeking a Senior Product Engineer to support our growing range of digital offerings. This is an ideal role for a hands-on leader who is passionate about imagining and delivering software solutions that play an essential part in enabling transformative learning.
At LUMA, Senior Product Engineers are:
- User-focused. They take a human-centered approach and thoughtfully consider the usefulness and usability of everything they create.
- Experienced, world-class developers. They have a history of developing advanced, yet elegant, software products that range in technical complexity.
- Highly collaborative. They work well with fellow engineers, designers, content specialists, product managers, and other related functions.
- Iterative. They take an agile approach to product development and are fanatical about rapidly prototyping and testing potential solutions.
- Subject-matter experts. They deeply understand the domains of application development and software engineering.
- Architectural thinkers. They design scalable and sustainable solutions based on sound information and systems architecture.
- Risk takers. They actively seek out opportunities to uncover failure points in their solutions and learn from each and every one of them.
- Instructive. They love learning and helping others to learn. They are able explain technical concepts in plain language and illuminate the application of human-centered design to engineering.
- Well-organized. They are extremely detail-oriented and manage time well.
What you will do:
- Lead software development efforts on key projects. You will play a hands-on role in creating amazing end-to-end user experiences. You have a passion for automation and will continually contribute to the development of better software development processes and standards.
- Envision innovative interfaces and technical solutions through human-centered design methods. You will wireframe and prototype to think through problems.
- Develop integrated digital experiences across web, tablet, and mobile. You care about and optimize for the complete user experience, and will be a consistent champion for the customer.
- Apply your in-depth knowledge of information architecture and usability principles, including user interface standards, tools, and industry guidelines.
- Work directly with project teams to define requirements and estimate time and effort necessary to meet requirements. You will work directly with designers and other team members to implement, test, and support concepts and designs.
- Have proficiency in a variety of languages and platforms: Ruby/Rails, NodeJS, Go, SQL, Bash, Objective-C, Swift, PHP, SASS, and others. You can pipe your way to glory at a command line. You have at least 3 rants about using the right tool for the job at hand.
- Define project schedules and work collaboratively with cross-functional, agile product development teams. You know how to run a sprint.
- Apply appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the software development lifecycle. You excel at collaborating with Git (and GitHub) and have set up CI & CD before. You know Hudson and Jenkins. You're not afraid of an integration test.
- Communicate effectively with a diverse team. You have an excellent command of written and spoken English. You're a fast learner and can contribute from day one. You know when to ask for help. You know how to collaboratively prioritize tasks and efforts.
- Manage and select external contractors and development partners (experience with TopCoder platform is a plus).
- Conduct qualitative research to deeply understand user needs and evaluate the usability and utility of proposed solutions.
- Occasionally serve as a LUMA instructor, facilitator, and/or coach. You should expect to teach approximately one time per month to remain connected with our customers and content. This may involve traveling domestically and, from time to time, internationally.
Qualified candidates must have a relevant technical degree and at least 7 years experience working as a web developer, software engineer, or related position; and present a CV and a portfolio that demonstrates:
- A strong product engineering background with current hands-on design and development experience in building large-scale, mission-critical applications on web and/or mobile platforms.
- Working examples of web-based and/or mobile applications and services.
- An ability to analyze business requirements and architect efficient solutions.
- A keen applied understanding of "minimum viable" that drives your everyday work.
- Past experience teaching, facilitating, and/or leading others.
How to apply:
Please include: your CV, a link to your portfolio, and a cover letter with a quick technical description of something awesome you have built.
About LUMA Institute
We equip individuals, teams, and organizations to accelerate innovation. The LUMA System of Innovation helps organizations learn and apply the discipline of Human-Centered Design to create new value and drive sustainable growth.
We serve leading organizations around the world through a wide range of services including: public and private workshops, e-Learning, project-based coaching, certification, innovation program design, content licensing, thought leadership, and a suite of practical resources.
We work with a global network of LUMA certified instructors and partners from our headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Pittsburgh is proud to rank among the top places to live, work, and visit in the United States. Our city is consistently recognized with accolades from major travel and financial organizations as one of the most livable cities and as having one of the most vibrant economies. Here are some recent press highlights:
- CNBC named Pittsburgh as the #1 Best City to relocate to in America, citing that..."The city has made a major transformation from an industrial town into a hub for education, healthcare and the arts. The cost of living is below the national average, as are home prices and unemployment rates. Crime rate is low, repeatedly rated one of the most livable and ranks high on both arts and colleges."
- The respected Economist Intelligence Unit recently named Pittsburgh the Most Livable City in the United States.
- Pittsburgh ranked 6th on the Forbes Magazine list of America's Most Affordable Cities, stating that the combination of a newly diversified economy and a history of sustained low costs make the city affordable.
- Forbes Magazine also recently named Pittsburgh the second Best Place to Buy a Home in the country. The ranking was based on a number of factors, including the affordability of homes and the growth opportunities in the region.
- Parents Magazine ranked Pittsburgh as the fourth best city to raise a baby, out of the 100 cities polled in 2010, with affordable housing, safety, recreation, and good neighbors as determining factors.